The International agency for research on cancer (IARC) estimates that 25% of cancer cases worldwide are caused by overweight or obesity and a sedentary lifestyle. Physical activity is an attractive cancer preventive strategy because it potentially benefits many health's end points in addition to reducing the risk of certain cancers. Physical activity may have benefits throughout the spectrum of living with cancer, but cancer survivors are often at increased risk for becoming too sedentary for several reasons.
A growing body of research indicates that participating in exercise programs can be beneficial for cancer patients. Recently National Sport Sciences Research Institute of IRAN has found a scientific workgroup named ““Cancer & Exercise Workgroup” for development of research on exercise and cancer studies and has done some valuable studies. However, due to funding shortage, it is hard for the institute to conduct basic and practical studies about effects of exercise on cancer.
Objectives of the campaign:
1. To raise public awareness about valuable benefits of exercise for cancer patients in terms of managing the treatment-related symptoms, regaining physical well-being and improving quality of life.
2. To develop research on exercise effects on cancer and its effects
3. To Educate Exercise & Fitness Professionals to Empower Cancer Survivors
4. To continue engaging in a comprehensive, physical fitness program
after completing the introductory course
5. To purchase exercise machines and equipment for cancer patients to
help them coping with cancer and its effects, restore and develop muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility
Process and Procedure
The campaign has been announced to organizations and public by national media to invite people to attend in the campaign through its website (www. cssri.ir)
The followers will be classified into different groups like Perspolis football team fans, Esteghlal football team fans,music artists fans and sports fans ,etc. Political, Artistic & Sports famous and well-known participants will be considered as leaders
There are 3 ways for groups to earn points:
1. Performing a selected sport movement (which is designed by SSRII’s experts that is not only appealing, but also a representation of perseverance to struggle disease. Time duration of performing is considered for earning point.
2. Donation: 1point for paying 10000 Iranian Rial
3. By adding every one new member 1 point will be given to the group.
· Ministry of Science, Research and Technology of Iran
· Ministry of Healthand Medical Education of Iran
· Ministry of Education of Iran
· 15 National Sport Federations,
· National Olympic Committee of Iran
· Iranian Football League Organization,
· Cancer Research Center of Iran,
· Pasteur Institute,
· Iranian Crescent,
· Physical Education Department of Armed Forces ...
· Union for International Cancer Control (UICC)
· Exercise and Cancer workgroup of SSRII